"When you've got nothing to hide, life feels good. We are committed to 100% transparency in how we work our farms. That means you can come and visit and ask questions, and we won't BS you. Real farm, real chooks, real farmers."
- OUR CO-FOUNDER AND 4TH GENERATION FARMER PAUL RIGHETTI -
First comes better ethics, then comes better eggs.
- Up to 10,000 chooks per hectare (this one is 1,500)
- Never moved so always on top of their own droppings
- Diet is generally a feed as there is no foragable food
- < 30 chooks per hectare
- Roaming roosts moved every 2-5 days to fresh pastures
- Fresh natural diet of insects, bugs, worms and grains from various grasses
- Vet developed supplement
- 24/7 access to outdoors
- Maremma dog protection
- Sanctuary of roosts as needed
- Part of permaculture farming method that is naturally regenerative for the land
Co-founders Paul and Jacqui Righetti are 4th generation custodians of their farm in Yandoit, near Daylesford, in Victoria.
Interestingly Honest Eggs Co. (originally called Real Eggs) was actually born out of a school project by their daughter. With strong beliefs in holistic farming methods passed down through generations it was the spark that led them to start egg farming in order to help regenerate the land, build additional income for the local community and improve animal welfare standards.
Shortly after formation Paul and Jacqui were joined by co-founders Ian and Kim Garsed - another farming family with the same values from just down the road. And five years on there are now four 3rd and 4th generation farming families in the collective with the Kissel family joining in 2018 and the Menzels in 2019.
At Honest Eggs Co. we are on a mission to change egg farming for the better. It permeates all we do and if you’re interested in changing an industry with us why don’t you reach out? You never know what it will lead to.